Pageviews

Monday, September 5, 2011

Letter to Cousin

Today I received an email from my cousin who is just beginning his college career and, like most freshman, is completely clueless as to what major he should declare. Obviously my first thought was to try and convert him to the Journalism and Public Relations department so I decided to write him this letter:

Dear cousin,
It was so great to hear from you. Obviously choosing a major is a huge decision and one that should not be made lightly, but I would love to tell you a little bit about public relations and the exciting careers that it has.
First of all, public relations has a lot to do with communication. The other day one of my professors explained to me that; in the field I will act as a spokesperson for either a company or an individual to ensure that the image and message that they want their publics to see is received in the way they would like it. In other words, people who work in public relations ensure that their clients image is at its best. Sometimes this means we are on damage control for a company. It can also mean that we highlight all the benefits that our client has for its costumers. We basically work to be sure our clients are viewed in a positive way.
Public relations has a vast variety of careers in the field. You could be in charge of writing speeches, planning events, helping with advertising, fundraising, and many other things. The main skill to perfect if you are interested in public relations would be to master your writing. Every aspect of P.R. has a lot of writing involved in it, whether it be news letters, press releases, proposals or speeches. You must also be very well informed. It is important to always be the person in the meeting or press conference who knows what questions are coming and has knowledgeable answers prepared in advance.
I am so excited about my major, as you can tell, and I really hope you find an area that you are passionate about as well. If you have any more questions about P.R. please let me know. Good luck at school this year!
-Annie

1 comment: