Pageviews

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Social Media: Blogging

The first article I read, Blogs Falling In An Empty Forest, talked about how many blogs there are on the internet that have been completely abandoned. It is so easy to create a blog that everyone seems to do it. At the beginning it is easy to be dedicated and excited about blogging but as time passes bloggers begin to slack on their posting. Some find that they are busy doing other things, some have moved onto other forms of social media, and others just seem to run out of things to write about. I admit it, a lot of times I just feel like I don’t have anything in my life worth writing about at the moment.
The worry that posting anything and everything going on in your life will cause you to loose all privacy has become another issue that forces dedicated bloggers to end their posting. Nancy Sun began a blog back in 1999 when no one paid any attention to what she was saying and she could put all her feelings and emotions out there on the internet and still feel like it was anonymous. Over time she became more well known in the blogging world and eventually her friends began reading what she was writing. They completely misinterpreted what she was posting about hem and everyone else in her life and so, she eventually cut all ties with her famous blog.
Many people start blogging with the fantasy that they will make it big, eventually write a book and make millions, but at the very least, “anyone could, if not get famous, get their opinions out there and get them read.” But after posting and posting and waiting to get discovered that they usually only have maybe one or two dedicated followers.
What do all these deserted blogs mean for us now? Is blogging just a fad that will soon be over, or is there a come-back in the blogging future?

The second article I read was very different than the first. Why Can’t I Stop Reading Mommy Blogs? Is about how women all over the world admit to reading about 5 different “mommy blogs” in a day. The entire article focuses on the fact that all of these women seem to have one thing in common, they make being a stay at home wife and mother seem like a dream come true. “You are making me want kids, and I've never wanted kids!” says one reader.
These blogs have become an addiction to many dedicated followers. It is almost as if you are watching a movie or reading a book about these people who live perfect lives. I think what draws you in even deeper is the fact that they aren’t fictional. Readers compare their own lives to the picture-perfect ones they read about online and imagine that one day they will have that too even if it is not at all what they had pictured before.
“There's been a lot of talk in recent years about "the New Domesticity" -- an increasing interest in old-fashioned, traditionally female tasks like sewing, crafts and jam making. Some pundits see this as a sign that young women yearn to return to some kind of 1950s Ozzie and Harriet existence, that feminism has "failed," that women are realizing they can't have it all, after all. That view is utterly nonsense, in my opinion, but I do think women of my generation are looking to the past in an effort to create fulfilling, happy domestic lives, since the modern world doesn't offer much of a road map.” Says author, Emily Matchar.
Overall, I think that reading blogs is the modern way to get away from the life you live and spend a little while just living vicariously through someone else.

3 comments:

  1. My article talked about abandoned blogs also so that is definitely a big concern. Your Mommy Blog article seems super interesting! I like how you said people get baby hungry because they see how great it is, and they are all real life experiences rather than fictional stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like there is no more privacy any more. But it sounds like blogging is already on its way out. Managing a blog would freak me out... I'd feel way too exposed. I liked your post though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on the abandoned blogs and I still don't know how people continue reading Mommy blogs. Guess I'm just not in that demographic. :)

    ReplyDelete